The Salvation Army was founded in London, England in 1865. Methodist minister William Booth left the church to preach as an independent evangelist in the slums of London's East End. He wanted to "preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and meet human needs in His name without discrimination."
Booth organized The Salvation Army church by military rank. Missions or churches became "corps," members became "soldiers," ministers became "Officers," and Booth was the "General."
In 1880 The Salvation Army came to New York City and in 1884 The Salvation Army began helping those in need in Fredericksburg.
The Worship Center of The Fredericksburg Corps of The Salvation Army is located at 821 Lafayette Blvd. in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Captains Matthew and Jamie Satterlee are the Commanding Officers. The Social Service offices and administrative offices are located at 2012 Lafayette Blvd, next to our Family Store, at 2010 Lafayette Blvd. For more information, call 540-373-3431.