Released 4 March 2011
You are in: Latest News » EXCEPTIONAL TEENS TO COMPETE FOR YOUTH OF THE YEAR...
March 4, 2011
EXCEPTIONAL TEENS TO COMPETE FOR THE SALVATION ARMY BOYS AND GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER ATLANTA YOUTH OF THE YEAR HONOR
The Salvation Army Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Atlanta will host a competition in which one teen member will be named the local Youth of the Year. During the competition, four local teens representing each of The Salvation Army's Atlanta Area Boys and Girls Clubs will deliver a short speech on how The Salvation Army Boys and Girls Clubs programs have improved their lives.
A winner will be selected from amongst the four by judges from the local community. The newly named Youth of the Year will receive a plaque and move on to compete against other Boys & Girls Clubs members from across Georgia.
The winner of the state competition will win a $1,000 college scholarship from Tupperware Brands Corporation. State winners move on to vie for the distinction of one of five regional winners across the country, and ultimately those five winners will contend for the title of National Youth of the Year.
The four local competitors and their respective Clubs are as follows:
- Jalen Coleman- Bellwood Boys and Girls Club: Jalen is an 8th grader at Samuel Inman Middle School. He maintains a 4.0 GPA. He has been a member of the Bellwood Club for seven years. Jalen has excelled at programs such as: Career Launch, Money Matters, Basketball, Teen of the Month, and Junior Leadership. Once Jalen completes high school he plans to attend Harvard University to become a lawyer then a Judge.
- Christopher Clark- Peachcrest Boys and Girls Club: Christopher is a 9th grader at Columbia High School. He participates on the cheerleading team as the school mascot and on the step team. Christopher has been a member of the Peachcrest Club since 2008, demonstrates strong leadership skills, and is very active in the Club and his community.
- Jermaine Cheek- Fuqua Boys and Girls Club: Jermaine Cheek is a 12th grader at Crime High School in Atlanta. Jermaine has been an active member of the Fuqua Club for 6 years. Jermaine's goal is to attend culinary school and then pursue his dream of owning a restaurant.
- Victoria Platt- West End Boys and Girls Club: Victoria Platt is a 10th grader at The Washington High School of Health. She participates in the Club's Healthy Habits, SMART Moves, Keystone Club and Junior Leaders programs. She credits SMART Moves for helping her make the right choices when it comes to dating and peer pressure. Her career goal is to become a doctor or a mortician.
- The 2011 Youth of the Year finalists and their families
- The Salvation Army Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Atlanta Staff and Advisory Council
- The Salvation Army Metro Atlanta Area Command officers and staff
Youth of the Year Winners from prior years
Thursday, March 17, 2011
The Salvation Army Atlanta Temple Corps
2090 N. Druid Hills Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
Media: For any additional information contact
P: 404-486-2912 C: 404-550-4537
# # #