1928 - A photo taken that year and published in 1990 in the Centennial History of the Georgia Division, shows a Salvation Army officer standing on the front porch of a wood frame house in Cabbagetown, surrounded by a crowd of mischievous boys. They are laughing at a joke the officer has just told. A sign with a Salvation Army Red Shield is mounted on the roof. It proclaims: Fulton Corps, Community Center and Boys Club.
1938 - The Optimist Club of Atlanta sponsors a Junior Optimist Program for boys at the Bellwood Corps on Bankhead Highway. This program is soon known as the Bellwood Boys Club.
1942 - The Bellwood facility, a tiny chapel and barracks, is replaced by a modern brick complex with a gym, auditorium, game rooms and adjoining athletic field. It is called the Bellwood Corps/Red Shield Boys Club. To mark the opening, the Club hosts a Christmas Party for 600 youth in the gym.
1951 - The little house in the 1928 photo is replaced by a building with a gym, a game room and several activity rooms. It is called the Fulton Corps/Red Shield Boys Club. The Red Shield Boys Club Advisory Council is charged with leadership of both the Bellwood and Fulton Clubs, under the chairmanship of Atlanta businessman and philanthropist,
D. L. Anderson. Members of the Council include Jeanette Fowler, owner of Fowler's Jewelers. Today Jeanette Fowler Leslie is an emeritus member of the Council and still active in the work of our Clubs.
1962 - The Red Shield Boys Clubs at Bellwood and Fulton become member Clubs of Boys Clubs of America.
1966 - The Red Shield Boys Clubs at Bellwood and Fulton are designated The Salvation Army Metro Atlanta Boys Clubs.
1966 - In response to community need, Girls Club programs are established at Bellwood and Fulton, with boys and girls enrolled in common membership.
1970 - The facility at Bellwood is replaced again. The new building has a gym, numerous meeting and activity rooms, and an indoor swimming pool.
1975 - A new branch unit opens in the Peachcrest community in Decatur and becomes a member Club of Boys Clubs of America. The facility consists of a wood frame house and an abandoned dairy barn. Boys and girls are enrolled in common membership.
1977 - The Salvation Army Metro Atlanta Boys Clubs changes its name and becomes The Salvation Army Metro Atlanta Boys & Girls Clubs. It retains membership in Boys Clubs of America.
1985 - A new building is constructed at Peachcrest. It consists of spacious game rooms, meeting rooms, exercise rooms, kitchen and dining areas, an indoor swimming pool, and a gymnasium with grandstand seating. The Peachcrest Corps is an integral part of the facility. Boys and girls are enrolled in common membership.
1986 - Rosagene Huggins, Advisory Council member, wins the William Booth Award for distinguished service to the Clubs.
1988 - A new branch unit opens in Techwood Homes and becomes a member Club of Boys Clubs of America. It occupies the Clark Howell Corps facility, a remodeled WWII quonset hut. Boys and girls are enrolled in common membership.
1989 - At a National Convention in Minneapolis, Boys Clubs of America changes it name. The new name: Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
1989 - Dr. Brown Dennis, Advisory Council member, wins the WXIA-TV 11-Alive Community Service Award for outstanding service to the Clubs.
1990 - A new branch unit opens in West End and becomes a member Club of Boys & Girls Clubs of America. It occupies the West End Corps facility. Boys and girls are enrolled in common membership as required under BGCA policy.
1990 - Jeanette Fowler, Advisory Council member, wins the William Booth Award for distinguished service to the Clubs.
1997 - A new branch unit opens in Griffin. It occupies the Griffin Corps, a spacious worship and recreational facility with a gym and activity rooms.
2000-2004 - In a bold expansion program, facilities at Bellwood, Clark Howell, West End and Peachcrest are renovated, rebuilt and transformed. The new facilities become state-of-the-art Boys & Girls Clubs. The new Clark Howell Club is renamed after its builder,
J. B. Fuqua. Even the neighborhood is renamed. It is now Centennial Place. As for the Fulton Club, site of the long-gone house with the Corps Officer and the laughing kids, it must also close. The kids of Cabbagetown are mostly gone now, so it's time for the Club to go, too. It will relocate to new facilities in Grady Homes, where a new generation awaits.
2004 - The Salvation Army approves a new organizational name for its Boys & Girls Clubs... The Salvation Army Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Atlanta.