With a brass drum, a Salvation Army Flag, and a newly commissioned Officer, Captain Ruth Woods, accompanied by one lady soldier, boarded a Washington DC train on June 27, 1925. They were bound for Harrisonburg, VA, a town of some 6000 people, which contained many needing help. They arrived penniless, having spent their $25.00 expense money on train tickets and a meal. They conducted a service in Court Square, praying for enough in the collection plate for a room and some food. Two weeks later on July 14 the Daily News Record announced the opening of the New Salvation Army Corps. Christmas Kettles first appeared in 1925. Faithfully serving the Harrisonburg Community through the Depression, Major and Mrs. Clifford Miller developed community support, which enabled moving to Johnson Street in 1951.
The Salvation Army has continued to grow and serve the communities of Harrisonburg, and Rockingham County. From their current location on Ashby Avenue they meet the needs of those caught in emergencies, those down trodden and less fortunate, those abused, and all who have lost their way. The Salvation Army stands with a caring community to provide shelter, clothes, food, counseling, job search assistance, and Spiritual Guidance.