You are in: What We Believe
What The Salvation Army believes.
The Salvationist believes that:
- The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments were given by inspiration of God, and that they only constitute the divine rule of Christian faith and practice.
- There is only one God, who is infinitely perfect, the Creator, Preserver and Governor of all things, and who is the only proper object of religious worship.
- There are three persons in the Godhead - the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, undivided in essence and co-equal in power and glory.
- In the person of Jesus Christ the divine and human natures are united so that He is truly and properly God and truly and properly man.
- Our first parents were created in a state of innocency, but by their disobedience they lost their purity and happiness; and that in consequence of their fall all men have become sinners, totally depraved, and as such are justly exposed to the wrath of God.
- The Lord Jesus Christ has by His suffering and death made an atonement for the whole world so that whosoever will may be saved.
- Repentance toward God, faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, and regeneration by the Holy Spirit, are necessary to salvation.
- We are justified by grace, through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and that he that believeth hath the witness in himself.
- Continuance in a state of salvation depends upon continued obedient faith in Christ.
- It is the privilege of all believers to be wholly sanctified, and that their whole spirit and soul and body may be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- In the immortality of the soul; in the resurrection of the body; in the general judgement at the end of the world; in the eternal happiness of the righteous; and in the endless punishment of the wicked.