A BRIEF HISTORY
The fourth family to settle in Sebring was a Salvation Army family from the Carolinas. George Sebring, although a Methodist, had a deep appreciation for Salvationists. In fact, he had been known to lead Salvation Army bands at times. Mr. Sebring donated the land that the Corps building sits on at 120 N. Ridgewood Dr. Having been constructed in 1916, this building is the oldest existing church building in Sebring. The first officers were assigned to Sebring in 1915.
| General Higgins, the first elected general of The Salvation Army, retired to Sebring in the late thirties. Due in part to his influence, retired officers began to make Sebring their home. During this influx of Salvationists, the Salvation Army Retired Officers Association (SAROA), an international organization, was founded in Sebring. |