We encourage the entire family to volunteer. Students can earn Community Service points for school by Volunteering! (Youths under the age of 16 years must be accompanied by an adult.)
Thousands of children in Hillsborough County live in households of poverty and chronic hunger. These families often must sacrifice nutritious meals for other necessities such as shelter or medical care. Through the generosity of our compassionate supporters, we will provide food baskets for thousands of hungry families during the holiday season and year-round. We'll be glad to provide you with a summary of the items needed to fill the food baskets. The most requested items are: boxed pastas & sauces, peanut butter, and canned tuna/chicken/meats.
Toiletry & Linen Drives
Each day, more than 200 homeless men, women and children call The Salvation Army Tampa Area Command home. We are regularly in need of toiletry items, as well as bed and bath linens. Current needs include: shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste & toothbrushes, soap, razors & shaving cream, diapers, single sheets, blankets, towels, cleaning products and paper products (i.e., toilet paper, towels, napkins).
To organize a drive, please contact: Jessica_vick@uss.salvationarmy.org (813.223.5288)
Angel Tree & Stuff a Stocking
Each year, approximately 6,500 needy children in Hillsborough County receive Christmas gifts (age appropriate toys, clothing, etc.) through The Salvation Army's Angel Tree program. Families living at or below the Federal Poverty level are eligible to register their children for the program. Tell us how many needy children you'd like to "adopt" for Christmas, and we will provide you with paper angels including child's name, age, clothing & shoe size, and a short list of needs and gift ideas. Angels are available in late October. You can also stuff stockings for children under the age of 10.
- Angel Tree gifts can be dropped off at the Holiday Toyshop, located in the former JC Penney's space at University Mall on Fowler Avenue, on weekdays and Saturdays from December 3rd through December 14th.
To request angels or stockings, or to arrange for pick-up of large quantities of gifts, please contact: Cheryl_devars@uss.salvationarmy.org (813.549.5285)
The Salvation Army's
2011 Angel Tree Holiday Toyshop
Volunteer Set-Up & Gift Distribution
Throughout the months of November and December, The Salvation Army needs hundreds of elves (volunteers) on weekdays, weeknights and Saturdays to prepare the Holiday Toyshop and Angel Tree gifts for distribution to needy families. Volunteers are also needed to partner with these families on the day of distribution to help them pick up their children's gifts and food for holiday meals. The Holiday Toyshop is located at University Mall in the former JC Penney's space (facing Fowler Avenue). Your group can volunteer all day or a portion of the day.
Registering Families for Assistance (1100 W. Sligh Avenue, Tampa, FL)Volunteers are needed to assist with registering qualified families for assistance through the Angel Tree program. Spanish-speaking volunteers are an important part of this process. Volunteers are needed:
- Fridays, Oct. 7 & Oct. 14 - 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. (10 volunteers needed throughout the day)
- Oct. 3-7 - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (10 volunteers needed throughout the day)
- Oct. 10-14 - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (10 volunteers needed throughout the day)
Preparing Gifts for Distribution at the Holiday Toyshop (University Mall)
- Saturday, Dec. 3 - 9 a.m. to Noon and 1-6 p.m. (10 volunteers needed throughout day)
- Saturday, Dec. 10 - 9 a.m. to Noon and 1-6 p.m. (25 volunteers needed throughout day)
- Dec. 5-9 - 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (10 volunteers needed throughout day)
- Dec. 12-16 - 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (25 volunteers needed throughout the day)
Distributing Gifts to Needy Families at the Holiday Toyshop (University Mall)
- Saturday, Dec. 17 - 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (100 volunteers needed at all times throughout the day)
- Volunteers are welcome to stay all day, but official shifts include: 8 a.m. to Noon; Noon to 4 p.m., and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
To volunteer for the Angel Tree program, please contact: Moira_Hinson@uss.salvationarmy.org (813.224.9119) or Christine_Snyder@uss.salvationarmy.org (813.549.5285, ext. 412)
Provide Lunch & Snacks for Holiday Volunteers
To help keep our costs down and hardworking volunteers fed, we are looking for community partners to underwrite or provide snacks, water, soft drinks and simple but tasty meals to serve during our holiday volunteer projects. Contact Moira_hinson@uss.salvationarmy.org (813.224.9119) or Linda_ Zipkin@uss.salvationarmy.org (813.224.9207)
Some key meal opportunities for feeding hungry volunteers include:
- Weekdays, Oct. 3-7 & Oct. 10-14 at Sligh Avenue Registration - Lunch for 10 volunteers
- Fridays, Oct. 7 & Oct. 14 at Sligh Avenue Registration - Lunch & Dinner for 10 volunteers
- Weekdays Dec. 5-9 at our Holiday Toyshop - Lunch for 10 volunteers
- Weekdays, Dec. 12-16 at our Holiday Toyshop - Lunch for 25 volunteers
- Saturday, Dec. 3 at our Holiday Toyshop - Lunch for 10 volunteers
- Saturday, Dec. 10 at our Holiday Toyshop - Lunch for 25 volunteers
- Saturday, Dec. 17 at our Holiday Toyshop - 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Breakfast/lunch/dinner for 100
- February 2012 - Date TBD - Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon - Lunch for 300+ volunteers
Wrap Gifts at a Local Mall (December)
The Salvation Army is looking for talented gift-wrappers to volunteer their time at WestShore Plaza and University Mall this holiday season. All proceeds from gift-wrapping will go to The Salvation Army to support year-round programming for the needy. Gift-wrapping shifts are available during day and evening hours throughout December.
Contact: Jessica_vick@uss.salvationarmy.org (813.223.5288)
Ring Bells at a Red Kettle Site (Nov. 11 - DEC. 24)
Synonymous with the Christmas season, bell ringing has been a Salvation Army tradition since 1895. Red Kettle proceeds help us provide meals, shelter, clothing and holiday assistance for needy families. The 2011 Red Kettle campaign will run Nov. 11th through Dec. 24th at local Publix, Sam's Club and Walmart locations. There is no bell-ringing on Thanksgiving Day or on Sundays.
Groups can "adopt" a particular Kettle site by volunteering to ring bells at that site during an established timeframe. You can adopt the site for the entire holiday season, a week, a weekend, a day. Your group members are welcome to wear hats and T-shirts while they ring. Signage is provided for all groups that adopt a Kettle site.
Contact: Linda_zipkin@uss.salvationarmy.org (813.224.9207)
Special Group Projects & Tours
Our team is happy to work with your group to design a special volunteer project that suits your needs.
Contact Moira_ Hinson@uss.salvationarmy.org or Linda_zipkin@uss.salvationarmy.org
The Salvation Army - 1603 N. Florida Avenue - Tampa, FL 33602 - 813.226.0055